Sunday, August 10, 2014

The New Starbucks?

So, yes - from time to time I will indulge in Starbucks when I get an inkling and if there is one near me. Now, granted, I cannot speak the Starbucks language. I just get Mocha Frappuccinos. I know nothing about skinny lattes, grande Oprah drinks or anything like that. Literally, "can I get a tall Mocha Frappuccino" says the lady (me) with a huge smile. The barrister then asks, "whipped?" I answer enthusiastically, "Yes, please". The whipped cream is the best part. I'm just saying. 

A couple of years ago, I finally saw a pastry that I decided to try. It was called the Morning Bun. OMG. It was so good and especially if they toasted or warmed it up. I could literally eat two. 
I used to take it apart, very slowly and savor the taste of light cinnamon, subtle sugar and warm bread. I don't like too much of anything, like frosting or gunk they put in between the cinnabon rolls at Cinnabon. I usually will eat the first (maybe second layer) of a cinnabon roll, because it starts to get icky and too much for me. However, the Morning Bun. Heaven! I, so enjoyed unraveling this delectable pastry. Then I moved to New York and unfortunately, there was no Starbucks near my apartment or job. This was a bummer, but I took this as an opportunity to try other breakfast spots. I tried Dunkin Donuts, and I would get an iced coffee and try their various breakfast sandwiches. They are not my cup of tea, so now I go to the local bodega's and get a good ole' bacon, egg and cheese on a roll. That does the trick!

Back to my, oh so delicious, Morning Bun. Well, somebody at Starbucks got the great idea to buy the company - La Boulange Bakery - which okay - business decision. Everyone has to make them. Now, Starbucks is making the transition to serve La Boulange pastries in all the stores. I am a visual person and when I first encountered the new pastries, they were 1) smaller, 2) looked like they had been smashed and 3) did not look healthy or edible. They literally looked like they held more fat than any other pastries that I've ever seen - even at Cinnabon. I decided that I was going to go against my instinct and buy the imitation Morning Bun. I took one bite, then two just to make sure. DISGUSTING. I was so upset with Starbucks. Now, I see that they will serve these imitation pastries world wide. Where will I ever get the original Morning Bun? It's just not right. To make matters worst, I thought maybe I was being too critical of this new pastry. So, I waited months, before I tried another one. I stood in line for awhile and watched the teller put plastic covered pastries in cute pink bags and almost everyone looked in the bag with a disgusted look, like, "REALLY". That's what I was thinking. Starbucks, y'all know better than that. Plastic, really? It seems too impersonal, so manufactured, and so McDonaldish. The only thought I left with after I bought the imitation morning bun and refused to eat it - I hope the company saves a lot of money going this route, because we as consumers are getting the short end of the stick on this decision. 

I was going to write to the Starbucks corporation and let them know how I feel about this particular injustice, but I couldn't find a place to put my comments, so I wrote a post here. 

The old Morning Bun: 

The new/fake morning bun: 

Click to see a review about the Morning Buns here. Someone feels my pain. 

BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL MORNING BUNS. 
Seriously!

I'm not a big pastry fan, but I found something that was so good and then you snatch it away from my grasps without a care. Come on Starbucks. Let's get on this.

Missing my Morning Bun,

Tammy J

No comments:

Post a Comment