Monday, June 10, 2013

NY Day 1: Take-Over


Okay, I'm back. Yes, I'm officially doing this. I won't call myself a blogger unless I'm still doing this in 6 months. Someone start the countdown. Well, this weekend was fairly normal to say the least. 

Saturday: I had breakfast with my new tenant and her son at one of my favorite places to eat in Upper Marlboro, MD - Olde Town Inn! Chicken and waffles were on my plate and a lot of bacon on her son's plate I was tempted to grab a piece, but realized that I can't be taking food from the kids. Smh- just greedy!
I then went to sleep, because that's what you do when you've had chicken and waffles, want to procrastinate and not pack. Everybody has asked me if I packed - uh, nope. Not packed. Hasn't washed clothes or anything as of 10pm - Saturday evening! By being the procrastinator that I am, I started washing clothes at 10:30 pm and watching The Mindy Project on Hulu. That girl is crazy. Around 3:00 AM - I finished watching 6 episodes and washed all my clothes - :-) 

Sunday: I went to church looking to see my friend dance and hear a friend preach her trial sermon. After the praise and worship team sat down, my Pastor got behind the podium. I was like, Lord, Jesus it's a fire. She done backed out! She didn't, I just had my times wrong. Smh. 
My Pastor preached from the book of Daniel - chapter 1. He talked about how Daniel and the three Hebrew boys were on a different path, a different diet and they had a purpose. And because of that purpose, they were willing to make sacrifices that seemed to be counterproductive, but because they had the favor of God- all things will work together. I really needed to hear that, because just read the last couple of blogs. Lol - so, despite their sacrifice, after 10 days - they came out on the other side in a better position!!!
When I arrived home from church, I quickly grabbed some clothes out the closet, out the dryer, off the floor and grabbed some shoes, threw them in my car along with my oscillating fan until nothing else would fit in there and went to Philadelphia to see my cousin in the hospital! She was doing much better and my aunt and lil cousin were there as well. 
We laughed, chatted, updated each other, scolded my bed-ridden cousin for not telling anyone she was in the hospital and I left to get my hair done by my sister-in-law. She finished my hair around 3:00 AM and I went to my mom's house to get some rest, because the next morning I was about to embark on my journey to Newark, NJ for orientation!

Monday: At 5:30 AM - I jumped up, put on my skirt and realized I didn't have a camisole to go under my jacket. I woke my lil sister, who didn't have one either. So I asked if she had a tee-shirt- which she then gives me this small hoodie that stopped right below my chest, was bright turquoise blue with sleeves that weren't purposely meant to come below my elbows. I had to hike my skirt up below my chest, so my stomach wasn't hanging out - looking like i was just released from St. Elizabeths or Byberry (Philly reference). I drove off to NJ and decided to stop by dunkin donuts. Nobody knows me in NJ, but I just couldn't bring myself to walk in there looking special. How would I look dressed in a black, business, knee-length skirt, pink flip-flops, and a small/tight bright turquoise hoodie asking for a bagel and coffee. Because, nobody has time for that, so I just put on my suit jacket over the small hoodie and flipped flopped my way in there! 
I arrived to my destination at 8:30, car packed to the very top with a fan, sheets, boxes and clothes all over. I felt like all I needed was a stick, a hanker-chief and put a little skip in my step - like I'm running away from home, but the handkerchief is my small car. Smh. 


My orientation was great! Our keynote speaker was beyond inspiring and it felt good meeting so many people that want to do the things I do! One thing I took away from the experience, besides my lack of motivation for networking (selling myself) - is that I will start a charter school! I shall! I might have even found a partner! 

The Tammy J. Takeover plan has begun. 

1 comment:

  1. Did I ever tell you my saying for "God-moments"? When I read about the sermon's message I got "Holy Spirit Goosebumps!" LOL

    ReplyDelete